TABLE OF CONTENTS
• Diversity Award
• Call for Outputs/Acheivements
• Coming Events
• Annual Retreat
• Top 10 Paper
• New Member: Anne Runge
• SAB Meeting
• Signature Course
• Goodbye: Dana Riley Black
• Norfolk State Collaboration
• Discovery Corps Fellowhip
• Minority Expo
• Recruiting REU Students
• Recent Publications
Center Director Receives “Giant in Science” Award from The Quality Education for Minority (QEM) Network
CMDITR Director and University of Washington Professor, Larry Dalton recently received a “Giants in Science” award from the QEM Network for his work advising Norfolk State University (NSU) and Alabama A&M as they develop their Materials Science and Engineering Ph.D. programs as well as for his long-term commitment to promoting diversity in science and engineering.
The QEM/MSE Network is a coalition of minority and non-minority educational institutions, school districts, and national mathematics, science, and education organizations that was established in 1991. Through its annual conference and Giants in Science Award, the Network seeks to develop and promote national awareness of exemplary programs and projects that serve to increase minority participation in mathematics, science, and engineering fields.
2005 Annual Report
Call for Outputs/Achievements!
ATTENTION ALL MEMBERS: An entire chapter of our annual report devoted to CMDITR accomplishments since August 1, 2004, is due at NSF May 2nd. We have over 300 members in our Center, so we need your help to log this information into our database by April 1st.
Accomplishments of interest include:
• Publications – peer-reviewed and non-peer-reviewed publications (incl. book chapters) that acknowledge CMDITR support (for reference, contract # is: NSF-DMR-0120967)
• Conference Presentations
• Other Dissemination activities (advisory panels, journal editorships, talks at workshops, educational/industrial outreach, recruiting activities, etc.)
• Awards and Honors
• Graduations (undergrads, Masters, PhDs, postdoctoral placements)
• Patents, licenses, startups
If you need additional assistance to properly log your information, please contact Glen, Cecile, or Maggie.
Our Center’s success is directly tied to your achievements.
Special Topics Course at Norfolk State University, March - April
Annual Report Deadline, May 1
Site Visit (UW), June 28-29
REU Program (UW, UA & GIT), Summer 2005
Renewal Proposal Due, Nov. 1