TABLE OF CONTENTS
Outreach and Education
2012 CMDITR Annual Retreat
UW and Green River Community College — NSF TUES Award
Café Photonique Debut
Online Education Resources
CMDITR Hits the Road with Education and Outreach Events
The coming months will see a flurry of outreach activity as CMDITR participates in several large educational events. At these events we will highlight CMDITR's efforts in solar energy, and present our interactive solar exhibits. For example, the public will be able to build and race small solar powered cars and explore which variables are important for enhancing car performance. Student volunteers are needed for these events. If you would like to participate please contact Shaun Taylor.
Outreach activities include
- AAAS in Vancouver BC, February 16-19: A large international meeting that highlights interdisciplinary science. The theme of the meeting is "Flattening the World: Building a Global Knowledge Society," 10,000 visitors are expected.
- Tucson Festival of Books, March 10-11: CMDITR volunteers will perform optics demonstrations for "The Science of Space and Light".
- National Science Teachers Association National Conference in Indianapolis, March 29-April 1: CMDITR will present "Organic Solar Cells: Bringing Research into the Classroom".
- Paws on Science at Pacific Science Center (PSC), Seattle, April 6-8: A big weekend at the PSC featuring 500 UW research scientists with 27,000+ visitors expected.
- Huskyfest Arts and Science Deans Showcase, UW Seattle Campus, April 20-21: Celebrating 150th Anniversary of UW.
- Science Expo at the Seattle Center, June 2: A regional expo celebrating 50 years since the Seattle Center was established for the 1962 world's fair.
- ASEMS at U of A is seeking volunteers for a panel for undergraduates and graduate students about strategies for succeeding as a STEM major.